It all began in the year before the Battle of Trafalgar whilst England was fighting the Napoleonic Wars.  At that time Ramsgate was the port from which troops and stores sailed to the Continent. The Duke of Wellington (then Sir Arthur Wellesley) stayed with his Headquarters staff at the London Hotel in Ramsgate (the site now occupied by the HSBC Bank), which was owned by Robert Page and his younger brother Richard. At that time, there was a threat of

invasion by Napoleon and among those caught up in the invasion scare was a grocer named Fisher. He offered his shop on the corner of Harbour Street and Market Place for sale and hastily left the town. The Iron Duke had taken a liking to young Richard, then just 24, and advised him to buy the empty grocer’s shop. Richard took his advice and invested his life savings in the new venture in 1804, establishing a business which has been passed on from father to son for seven generations.

1804

Where it all began

The grocery shop in Harbour Street and Market Place that Richard Page purchased from Fisher in 1804

1850 to1875

The Page Blend

A newspaper advert from the time showing how important Port and Sherry were to Page & Sons, especially the Page's own blend, bottled in the cellars under the Ramsgate shop. Deliveries were based in Thanet or along train lines as far as London, as long as orders were over £2 . From our spirit list you can see Hollands which is Jenever, the juniper flavoured liquor of the Netherlands and Belgium, from which gin evolved. To this day, samples may be seen at any time at our offices.

1890

First motorised van in Ramsgate

The business outgrew the original shop and moved to new premises in Queen Street. The picture shows the front of the first motorised van in Ramsgate as Page & Sons moved away from horse drawn deliveries.

1918 to1940

Between the wars

The business was guided through its toughest time by Stanley Hatch Page. During a period of 2 World Wars and the Great Depression the business continued to grow and developed its wine imports. Page & Sons became a house hold name in Thanet and supported many local community activities. The picture shows a game of football being played on Goodwin Sands at low tide, with the old father Page ready to hand out the drinks. In 1940 the business turned away from being grocers and developed into the Wine, Beer and Spirit merchants that it is today.

1974

Moved to Hopes Lane

In 1974 the business moved into its current location. The purpose built warehouse is on the site of the old Ramsgate airport that closed its doors in 1968 having seen action during the second world war.